Bantock House Museum

Bantock House Museum is an Edwardian House set in 43 acres of wonderful green outdoor space, about 9 miles from Brewood. It was previously known as New Merridale Farm. It was the home of Thomas Bantock, a railway and canal agent and Mayor of Wolverhampton , and his wife Mary. The house then passed to their son Baldwin Bantock and his wife, Kitty. Baldwin was a keen gardener, and he transformed the farmyard into the sunken Dutch Garden and planted the Rose Garden, flower borders and Woodland Garden. It was Kitty who gave the house and park to Wolverhampton in 1938. The house was used as a base for the local Home Guard during WW2. Bantock House became a museum in April 1948. The museum explores the history of Wolverhampton and its people; it includes carved oak panelled rooms, decorative glass, tiles and period furnishings inspired by the Arts and Crafts movement, and displays of locally made enamels, japanned ware, jewellery, toys, and dolls. The courtyard café serves homemade food, drinks and ice creams. There is also a nine hole Pitch and Putt course on the parkland.

Finchfield Road, Wolverhampton, West Midlands, WV3 9LQ

Telephone 01902 552195

Email bantockhouse@wolverhampton.gov.uk

Facebook www.facebook.com/BantockHouseMuseum

Website www.wolverhamptonart.org.uk/visit/bantock

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.