Chillington Hall has been the home of the Giffard family for over 800 years. John and Crescent Giffard are the 29th generation of Giffards to make their home here. A long avenue of oak trees formed the original approach the house. These were planted by Peter Giffard in about 1725. The main part of the present-day house was built between 1786 and 1789 during the ownership of Thomas Giffard the younger. It was designed by Sir John Soane and extended the 1724 south range with the two new three storey wings and a porticoed front entrance. Soane intended that the walls of the house should be stuccoed but this was never applied, and as a result most of the bricks have a rough facing and exposed arches can be seen above each window. Today much of the stonework is blackened in appearance, perhaps due to smoke blown in on the prevailing winds from Wolverhampton and the Black Country. The landscaped parkland and the Pool were designed by Capability Brown during the 1760s for Thomas Giffard the elder.
The ground floor of Chillington Hall is open to the public between 2-4pm on selected afternoons during the summer. It can also be booked for private tours for groups of 15 or more people throughout the year (subject to availability). These guided tours take about 45 minutes and include information on the family’s history, architecture, and the furnishings and artwork. Tours can optionally include a trailer ride through the woods, along the winding waterside drive down to the Pool. The trailer is covered and seats 24 passengers. Chillington Hall is also available for private hire including parties, weddings (non-legal ceremonies or blessings only) and corporate events. There are also two holiday let properties on the estate. Shooting and clay shooting is also available. Various public events are held at the estate, mainly in the summer, such as guided walks, craft fairs and fine dining events.
Chillington Hall, Codsall Wood, Wolverhampton, WV8 1RE
Telephone 01902 850236