White Ladies Priory is just over 4 miles from Brewood. It was originally the Priory of St Leonard, which was founded in the late 12th century and dissolved in 1536. The name ‘White Ladies’ refers to the habits worn by the Augustinian canonesses who lived there. It was briefly the hiding place of Charles II after his defeat at the Battle of Worcester in 1651. Disguised as a woodsman with his face covered in soot, he soon moved to nearby Boscobel House. The priory no longer exists, but the ruins of its medieval church and the 19th century boundary wall of its graveyard still remain and are cared for by English Heritage. The graveyard was used by Catholic families until 1844, when St. Mary’s church at Brewood was consecrated.
Cosford, Shifnal, Shropshire, WV8 1QZ
Entry is free at any reasonable time during daylight hours. You can walk to it down the footpath ‘Monarch’s Way’ or walk from a gate to the rear of Boscobel House (takes a good 20 minutes each way).
General enquiries to English Heritage telephone 0370 333 1181.